Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Shawshank Redemption...


These days i have been making full use of my internet connection. I downloaded lots of movies - The Shawshank Redemption being the first to be downloaded. I had heard lots of praise for this one on imdb, so wanted to see this one desperately. After watching this film, i can very well say that this is the best movie i have seen till now.

The Shawshank Redemption is an absolute must see movie. The internal message which one should take away from this movie is that one's body can be physically or metaphorically imprisoned, but no one person or thing can take away your hopes or dreams unless you let them. Fantastic movie!!!

I remenber below lines by Red(Morgon Freeman) the most -
"Sometimes it makes me sad though, Andy being gone, I have to remind myself that some birds are not meant to be caged, there feathers are just too bright and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up, does rejoice but still the place you live in is that much more drab and empty when there gone.
I guess I just miss my friend"

Steeped in symbolism, the film leaves us with plenty of memorable quotes.
As Andy plays the letter duet from The Marriage of Figaro, Red narrates:
"I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are better left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a grey place dares to dream. It was as if some beautiful bird had flapped into our drab little cage and made these walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free."

I highly recommend this film to you all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice analysis of movie. I also saw this movie. I liked the movie and message.

Anonymous said...

u seems to be analyst in the software firm.well nice analysis.
I like the way you write. Thanks for the quote by Morgan Freeman.
I suggest you to watch the movie- Just Like Heaven.

Deepak Salunke said...

@Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your nice words. I would certainly see 'Just Like Heaven'. One more thing, I would appreciate if you can display your identity.